Broadway Shows

I haven't seen many Broadway plays myself - or have really been interested in the ones deemed classic - but the ones I have seen I've enjoyed quite a bit. Book of Mormon was by far my favorite, both in terms of the overall performance and the actual writing itself. Being from a religious background myself, I found the style of humor especially relatable. I witnessed (what I'm almost positive was) the official cast as well, which elevated the enjoyment due to the spectacular acting.

The use of technology in the sets was something I found interesting even while watching the show myself. The entire time, the stage was outlined with this built structure that resembled stained glass from a church setting, which seemed to change tone every time the lighting switched colors. During several points, the actor who was playing a very satirical version of Jesus walked across stage wearing a robe underwired with stringed lights. These details were relatively minor in the grand scheme of the show, but they still made me smile nonetheless. The most bombastic song - Spooky Scary Hell Dream - featured everything and the kitchen sink. All the dancers were on stage at once in ridiculous costumes, the lighting was going absolutely crazy, and one of the actors was suspended by string at the back of of the stage to make it seem like he was a much larger and more foreboding figure than he actually was. It was crazy fun, and probably one of the main reasons the show is considered a masterpiece.

The other show I saw was less well known, but also a comedy. The Show That Goes Wrong is almost entirely made up of technological mishaps and incorrect line readings. This is, of course, on purpose due to the show itself being about an amateur performance with a low budget. Nevertheless, the things they pulled off still have me baffled to this day. There were constantly things falling off the walls at perfect times, sets slowly collapsing under actors - but not in a way to actually be dangerous - and smaller details happening off stage that were being worked into the overall show. Considering the show itself is about all the mishaps, the technology has to be adapted to time everything down to the second, and perfectly adjusted so there's no injuries on stage. All these aspects were perfectly combined into a show so gut busting-ly hilarious that my mother almost threw up in the isle. I couldn't reccomend it enough, and I hope one day I find out just what kind of rigging they set up to pull it off.

Comments

Popular Posts